Monday, March 2, 2009

Character Analysis

From what I’ve read so far in Tears of The Desert, the main character seems like a character that could easily be related to. She seems like she’s a real person, and someone that knows what she’s talking about, which is obviously true since this is a memoir. Halima respects her elders, and does what she’s told. She seems like a very curious child, and is always asking questions about her family’s past, and other parts of life. She also complains about many things her grandma tells her to do, but I think she realizes that her grandma is only teaching her how to be a strong person, so she does as she’s told. Halima’s family is a wealthy family in their village. Her father has a car, and he’s one of the few in the village, which shows his success. Something Halima said in the first few chapters that I’ve read really surprised me. In their culture, they cut each other, and give each other specific scars on their faces, and they find these scars beautiful. I think this is interesting, because in our culture, scars aren’t the most attractive thing. In the Zaghawa culture, they’re seen as beautiful marks, and they represent a person’s accomplishments, as well as their family ties. Overall, I see Halima as a strong, curious, and smart young girl who’s proud of who she is.

1 comment:

  1. I think its interesting how she looks up to elders so much. I also like her curiosity.

    ReplyDelete