Sunday, March 15, 2009

Figurative language.

"I told them about the two Khawajat that I'd seen in the market.  I described  the woman's hair, like fine threads of spun gold, and the man's bushy beard, flame red like the setting sun." (Ch. 7,  Pg. 84.)

I liked this use of figurative language that the author, Halima, uses.  The two Khawajat, she is referring to are two Germans who are trying to build a better life for the people in this region.  I thought it was very interesting the way she described the man and woman, because she described the mans beard like the setting sun.  I don't think that people in are society would use adjectives like that.  I also think that this section is important to the reader, because of the way she is describing them.  We have to sort of think like the author in order to understand exactly what she is describing.  It makes me  understand  where she is coming from a little more, because what other red object could she compare the man's beard to. Also in this passage the children are antagonizing and literally chasing these two Germans, yelling Khawajat at them.  The author goes on to say how people in this region know about and have heard about white people, but many have never seen a white person.  That strikes me as something interesting, because In America we see people of different colors and nationalities every single day.  People in other parts of the world don't necessarily see people who look different then themselves.

9 comments:

  1. good blog. I also think that example is a good example of the techinques. And I like the point you brought up about how we see people of different ethnicities everyday. And how others might not see. I had not thought about that, but now that I look in my book for examples of that, I find that China is more like the US, because in my book, the family sees a whole bunch of different people. Their stepmom is actually French/Chinese/American. So, yeah, good point on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that point on China, because they are right on our tail in global domination. its interesting that you bring that up, because in my book the land that the plot is set in was once under siege by the British. The father brings up too that two britons colonies, China and the USA, are now dominating the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's interesting how the Africans find it so rare to see a person with white skin, when in our society, it's not even noticed anymore. Your example of figurative language that you found in the book, along with the many other examples, really help the reader see how different nationalities react to foreigners, which I think is really interesting. I would have never thought that African children would react in that way to seeing an American.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Comment on JN's comment) I agree with your point on China and the USA being large forces in these times. In my book, China has a great deal of wealth coming in from the exports industry. Probably because of the war going on. And America was also booming in these times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Comment on Kira's comment) Seeing a white person in any other country nowadays is extremely common. Especially in America. So it is kind of interesting to see the reactions of different nations on the arrival of such people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back on the race comment, I wonder how many other regions of the earth, if any, react this way to white people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's probably just the more rural, and less modern countries where foreign interaction is less common.
    When I lived in China 6 years ago, my blonde hair and white skin was seen as something amazing. And random people would walk up to me and start petting my head as if I was an animal, and asking for pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im sorry, but I feel doubtful that that would happen. First of all, asian people feel that petting people's heads or rubbing them is a sign of disrespect. Second of all, when I visited China a while ago, there were a bunch of white people. But then again, it probably depends on where in China you lived.

    ReplyDelete