Sunday, March 29, 2009

Tears of the Desert

This book has been very interesting in all aspects.  It's cool to see how in a land not far away from where we live, so many fantastic things are happening.  Its some what sad however that it still happens.  Many of the characters in this memoir are also very close to my own generation, which sort of helped me related to this book. I also liked that it was a memoir, because even though to me the story takes place in a "fictional world" in reality it's still in the world we live in.  I also think its sort of sad that it is a memoir, because the events that take place here actually happened and are happening.  I also liked the characters, especially the grandmother and Halimas's brothers.  I think that these characters sort of had their own comic relief from this very dark book.  Also the way that the tribal peoples live was very interesting to see.  It you go down even down town Edina, that small little area is hundreds of times more advanced then the setting here.  It's funny, people today still whine about their lives if just a little thing goes wrong.  In Halima's world, it would be so much more difficult for some.  Thats something I took from this very good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment