Friday, March 27, 2009

Tears of the Desert

I am not quite done with Tears of the Desert, but I am really enjoying every aspect to the book. I think the fact it is a memoir, and a true story makes it even more interesting. It is weird to think how different my life is to Halimas, living in the exact same generation. Just the difference in how Halima's family and families in the US interact and maneuver through life is amazing. I find some of the rituals the Zaghawa tribe do very strange, but to them it is normal, and i am sure vice versa for them. The difficulties Halima faces at the arab school really bothers me because it is not something she should have to face. It reminds me of the civil rights movement, and how people should be treated equal and not put down for having different beliefs or color skin. I haven't quite got to the struggle that Darfur is facing today, but I am both nervous and anxious to see what it is like. I think it will give me a different perspective on how the world works, and to not take things for granted living in a community like Edina. I hope reading this book will also motivate me to make change to things that aren't right, like the brutalizing of africans in Darfur

No comments:

Post a Comment